Fredericton has enjoyed a fall fair since 1825. Today's version is called the Fredericton Exhibition - FREX for short.
On April 25, 1845, Queen Victoria, the head of the Church of England, designated Fredericton a Cathedral City and the seat of a Bishop's Diocese, even though the population then was far short of the 10,000 usually required for city status. Work began on construction of the beautiful Gothic Cathedral whose spire still dominates the skyline today. The foundation of Christ Church Cathedral was the first entirely new Cathedral foundation to be established on British soil since the Norman Conquest of 1066. The City was officially incorporated by an act of the provincial legislature on March 30, 1848
A permanent Maliseet Indian settlement was established on the north side of the St. John River in 1847. It is the site of the present St. Mary's Reserve and home to many members of the St. Mary's Indian Band.
New Brunswick was key to the formation of a Canadian Union and sent many legislators to both the Quebec Conference and the Charlottetown Conference. These led to the British North America Act to be enacted on July 1, 1867, uniting the four colonies of New Brunswick, Nova Scotia, Upper Canada and Lower Canada into a new country. Interestingly, PEI did not join Confederation until 1873, in return for financing of railroad construction on the Island
After 1850, Fredericton flourished as an industrial town. Sawmills, shipyards, tanneries, boot and shoe factories, carriage shops, iron foundries, brickyards, and factories turned out a variety of products. Railroad connections were established between Fredericton and several other cities. These manufacturers were encouraged by the federal government's support of New Brunswick industry through protective tariffs on imported goods.
In 1911, lightning struck the Christ Church Cathedral and the resulting fire gutted the spire and destroyed the choir when the bells melted and fell to earth. It took over a year and $100,000 to rebuild the Cathedral, which then rose to 198 feet.
More history of Fredericton