The village of Aroostook was once an important railway centre, and lies at the junction of the Aroostook River and the Saint John.
The river, which begins in Maine, is named for the Maliseet word Woolahstook "good river for everything,"
and was first seen on DeRozier's map of 1699 as "Arassatuk," though it went through a number of spellings before
the current one was settled on in 1852. In 1839 the border with the US was in dispute, and finally resolved with
the Webster-Ashburton Treaty. The town was first called Arestook in 1852, and renamed two years later to Aroostook.
South of the Perth-Andover area is a great deal of forestry, agricultural and industrial activity along the
St. John River Valley and the Beechwood Dam headpond.
Southern Victoria Historical Museum (Perth-Andover)
West Riverside Drive, off Hwy 2
This 1837 church now houses interesting and eclectic area memorabilia.
1112 Rooute 105, Exits 112 or 115
Nature trail, playground and concession stand. The Maple Trail is a 5 km trail that starts and ends in the park.
Day-use park and boat landing.
Aroostook Valley Country Club (Aroostook)
506 273-9184 or 1-877-833-4622