Gagetown, located approximately 50 kilometres east of Fredericton (exit 330 on Hwy 2), was named
in 1765 for General Thomas Gage (1721-1787), one of its original land grantees. He fought in the
Seven Years War (1756-63), became military governor of Montreal, and upon the outbreak of the
American Revolution in 1776, was appointed the governor of Massachusetts. In 1767, Gage divested
himself of his vast 20,000 acre holdings on the west bank of the St. John River, "for ten pounds
current money of the province of New York" to Stephen Kemble.
The Village of Gagetown is a quaint little village with gracious homes, attractive riverfront, heritage inns, and celebrated craft studios and shops and several special events like the celebration of birds, Gothic churches, Victorian and post-Victorian buildings, and Queen Anne revival homes.
The town is the birthplace of Samuel Leonard Tilley, one of the Fathers of Confederation, and the area has two covered bridges, two lighthouse, and a ferry. The town's Blockhouse, one of the oldest buildings in New Brunswick, was built in 1761 for the storage of rifles and ammunition, and is now used by a local group, the Loomcrofters to produce tartans, drapes and uphostery materials.
Queens County Fair (mid September), Village of Gagetown Celebration of Birds (Jan-June)
Business listings for Gagetown
Off Route 2, 10 km east of Jemseg
Unsupervised freshwater beach, change house, washrooms, and picnic areas.
Canaan River No1 Covered Bridge
This bridge is located 25 km east of intersection of Routes 2 and 112 at Coles Island on Cherryvale Road.
With a span of 164' and a length of 168', this bridge was built by Howe Truss in 1927.
Long Creek No 1 Covered Bridge
This bridge is located 1.2 km west of intersection of Routes 2 and Starkey Road, 3.2 km below Coles Island
It was built in 1939 by Howe Truss with a span of 136' and a length of 225'8"
Fanjoys Point Lighthouse
Near Lakeside Park, on Route 2,Exit 339, Jemseg
It is now an automated navigational beacon, though a fully working lighthouse used to stand here. The lighthouse was originally built in 1873 and replaced in 1971. It features a white and red horizontal striped cylindrical concrete tower overlooking Fanjoys Point on Grand Lake.
Robertson's Point Lighthouse
On Route 2, Jemseg
It is now an automated navigational beacon, though a fully working lighthouse used to stand here. This lighthouse was originally built in 1873 and replaced in 1963. It features a white and red horizontal striped cylindrical concrete tower on the tip of Robertson's Point on Grand Lake.
Front Street, Gagetown
Floating Dock, overnight docking, with power.
Gagetown Cable Ferry
Operates year-round between Gagetown (on Rte 102) and Lower Jemseg
Queens County Historical Society & Museum
69 Front St, off Hwy 102
506-488-2966 and 506-488-2295
National & provincial historical sites, including the 1818 birthplace of Sir Leonard Tilley, renowned Father of Confederation, and a recently-restored country Court House. The home contains furnishings of both the Loyalist and Victorian periods. Allow 1 hour. Open mid-June to mid-Sept 10 am to 5 pm, by appointment the rest of the year. Admission fee.
Near ferry wharf
Established in 1895 beside the Gagetown Cable Ferry, and was renovated in 1984. Tthe light is now on a white square wooden tower on wooden skeleton stilts. It operates seasonally.
Saint John River Bridge
On the /Transportation-Canada Highway #2
The bridge is located downstream of the Old Public Wharf at Coytown and spans the Saint John River with twin bridges that are 1.1 kilometers in length, including the approaches. Of the 13 piers, 8 were built in the river, with a maximum span is 120 meters wiht a 12 metres wide concrete deck. The navigation channel under the bridge is 60 meters wide with a 24-meter clearance.